Of course, water comes in our mind first when we think of healthy drink, as it has tons of benefits like promoting weight loss, boosting immunity, increasing brain power, preventing hair fall and helps in glowing skin by removing toxins from the body. However, there are other healthy drinks which is worth adding to our menu.
I have listed out few best ten traditional healthy drinks below and have made sure to include some of them in my everyday diet. These are easily available and can be made with less effort and are loaded with several health benefits.
Ragi (Finger millet) Malt
Ragi is been a staple drink of my diet since my childhood and I never tend to skip this one from my diet. It’s also a perfect option for breakfast for those who is looking to loose weight. This nutritious cereal is not only loaded with several health benefits but also is very easy and quick to prepare. Isn’t’ it a big relief for those looking for a quick but healthy recipe in this fast paced life?
- Good source of calcium, potassium, dietary fiber and also rich in amino acid
- Helps in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetic person
- Is gluten free
- Easy to digest
- Also good source of iron
- Mix 4-5 tsp ragi flour in a bowl with little bit water and stir to make a paste.
- Boil 1 cup of water and then add ragi paste to it.
- Keep stirring it for 5-10 mins.
- Add salt as per your taste.
- You can also have this drink mixed with curd or also, can make it more tasty by adding 1-2 pieces of chocolate to it.
Native to Asia, ginger is considered as one of healthiest spice around the globe. Although, ginger root and stem are used in different types of cuisine, the benefits are enjoyed best by consuming it in form of a herbal tea.
- Helps in boosting immunity
- Soothes upset stomach
- Supports digestion, inflammatory response, healthy blood sugar levels and brain health
- Aids weight loss
- Fights cold and cough
- Helps relieve pain from Arthritis
- Gently boil 2 tsp of finely chopped ginger(pealed) slices in 2 cups of water for about 10-15 mins (longer it simmers, stronger and spicier is the taste).
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly. Strain out the pieces.
- Add honey and few drops of lemon juice as per your taste and enjoy!!
Note: Pregnant women, person undergoing surgery or giving birth should always consult doctor with regards to ginger tea consumption.
Lemon Honey Water
Is most popular drink followed by many celebrities, and is known for it’s excellent detoxifying and weight loss property.
- Boosts immunity
- Detoxifies the body
- Citric acid in the lemon flushes out the toxin and helps achieve clear skin
- Aids digestion
- Shrinks fat cells
- Cleanses the blood
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon in 200 ml luke warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp honey in it.
- Enjoy the drink sip by sip rather than gulping it at once.
Note: Avoid adding honey to hot water. Drink this juice early in the morning in empty stomach for excellent result. Try to have breakfast soon after half or before one hour after drinking this juice to avoid acidity.
Tulsi – Holy Basel, a sacred herb of India, is “Queen of Herbs” and is widely used in culinary practices. In Ayurveda, it is best known for medicinal uses as it is effective remedy for several ailments.
- Contain several antioxidants that protect body from free radical damage
- Reduces stress
- Prevents respiratory disorder
- Regulates sugar level in the blood
- Maintain dental and oral health
- Boil 2-3 tulsi leaves in 1 cup of water. Let the water absorb its colour and flavour.
- Strain the tea in a cup for a sip.
- You can also add honey and lemon juice as per your taste for extra flavour and benefits.
This miracle drink is best to combat heat in summers and is also a super natural energy drink that detoxifies the body and boost energy instantly. As it’s a great natural sport drink, it can be drunk after intensive workout session for hydrating the body.
- Very rich source of potassium, calcium, magnesium and amino acids
- Prevents hypertension
- Is a perfect electrolyte balance
- Has anti-aging properties
- Aids digestion and prevents bloating when consumed after meal
- Boosts immunity and facilitates weight loss by kick-starting body metabolism when consumed early morning on empty stomach
It is best cool drink during summer, is also excellent for people with weak digestion when prepared in a traditional way, as it helps get rid of all digestive and stomach related issues. For maximum benefit, drink it after lunch.
- Best probiotic
- Rich in vitamins and calcium
- Improves skin and hair quality
- Reduces blood pressure
- Finely chop coriander leaves, small piece of ginger (of a garlic clove size) and one chilli.
- Add this ingredients to the buttermilk and stir.
- Next flame one tsp of ghee, add few cumin seeds and 1-2 curry leaves, asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- Let them sputter and later pour it on buttermilk.
- Add salt as per your taste, stir and enjoy!
Cumin (Jeera) Tea
Cumin is a spice made from the seed of Cumin cyminum plant. It is found in almost every Indian and Middle Eastern kitchen and has a high therapeutic value. Jeera tea is one of my favourite health drink post lunch hours, as it helps me knock off drowsiness, so that I can concentrate on my work.
- Promotes digestion
- Removes toxins
- Improves respiratory system
- Improves quality of sleep
- Improves memory power
- Helps achieve clear skin.
- Boil 1 tsp of jeera in a cup of water. Strain the tea.
- Allow to cool slightly and drink.
Note: For best results, drink it early morning on empty stomach.
Especially in summer, sugarcane juice is best for the people with sweet tooth. No doubt, it is the tastiest juice of all but it also loaded with nutrients making it also a healthiest drink. Although, it is sweet in taste, due to it’s low glycemic index this juice is also recommended to diabetics.
- Rich source of iron, calcium, phosphorus, antioxidants
- Cures common cold
- Reliefs constipation
- Boosts immunity
- Fights fever and other infections
- Boosts energy
- Strengthens liver
- Removes bad breath and tooth decay
Green tea is a traditional drink of some asian countries and contains rich concentration of flavonoids and polyphenols which are natural antioxidants that scavenges free radicals from the body and may protect cells from carcinogens.
- Contains fluoride which strengthens teeth
- Helps lower cholesterol and other fats called Triglycerides
- Helps in weight loss
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Cool it slightly before dipping your green tea bag and allow it to steep between 2-3 mins.
- Add one tsp honey to improve the taste and enjoy the sip.
Note: Temperature and steeping time all have significant effect on colour, taste and antioxidant level of brewed green tea.
Turmeric Milk (Golden Milk)
This traditional Indian drink is part of my daily diet as well, as I love drinking milk and prefer it over coffee and tea. Turmeric used in the milk is best known for it’s anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, and also includes properties like internal healing, curing wounds and improving virility. This desi energy drink is recommended by our grannies as a remedy for almost all possible ailments.
- Detoxifies the body
- Purifies the blood
- Kills cancer cells
- Improves skin tone
- Has anti-aging properties
- Strengthens immunity
- Boil 1 glass of a milk.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, pinch of black pepper and 1/4th tsp of ghee into the hot milk.
- Mix it well.
- Have this before an hour of going to sleep.
I hope this information is useful to you all. Do not forget to comment below and let me know your favorite healthy drink.
Thank you for your valuable time.